Sunday, July 3, 2016

Front-Row Seats to a Three-Car Accident

Yesterday, Michele and I had front-row seats to a three-car accident in the Latham Hannaford parking lot. An old bat in a red car ripped the bumper clean off a black compact SUV and spun the larger vehicle around. Then, after grinding past the SUV, instead of stopping or even slowing down, the woman drove over the curb and plowed full-force into the back of a car legally parked in a handicapped spot, a car owned by the mom of an old friend of ours, while our friend and her elderly handicapped mother were loading groceries into the trunk. That old bat came darned close to crushing our friend's mom!
As the accident unfolded before my eyes, I noticed that people were loading groceries into the parked car that the red car plowed into. I didn't know until after the events unfolded that those people happened to be an old friend and her mom. It's purely coincidence (or perhaps providence) that Michele and I happened to be there at that exact moment, that were were able to be there at that moment for our friend and her mom.

To make matters worse, the old bat must've heard me make a comment about people who shouldn't even be driving, because she started yelling at me while I'm trying to call 911! She started going on about not doing it on purpose and that everyone was against her. I told her that I was just a witness calling 911, and that she shouldn't even be talking to me. She started yelling at me again after the police showed up, and I again told her not to talk to me.

One of the officers on the scene said I probably shouldn't be talking to the woman, but I do tend to respond in some sort of fashion when being yelled at. This is especially true when I'm an innocent bystander who just witnessed a bizarre accident, one which came close to taking the life of an old friend's mom. That old bat was yelling at several people, as if she was the poor guiltless victim!

BTW, if there hadn't been a handicapped parking sign on a sturdy concrete post in front of our friend's mom's car that stopped it from going into the car parked in the spot opposite, there very well could have been a FOURTH car involved in the overall accident.

No comments: