Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Depsite What Ursula K. Le Guin Asks, Buy Written Works from Amazon (At Least, Buy Mine)!

I see that Ursula K. Le Guin is asking people to refrain from buying books from Amazon.com:
Ursula K Le Guin launches broadside on Amazon's 'sell it fast, sell it cheap' policy
and:
Ursula K. Le Guin: “I keep Asking You Not to Buy Books from Amazon”



Well, as much as I love at least some of Ursula K. Le Guin's works, and as much as I respect and admire her as a writer, I'm going to keep asking people to do the opposite of what she asks. I'm going to keep asking people to BUY written works on Amazon, specifically, MY written works. I would like to think that my works are not complete trash, that there is some substance to at least some of the things I've written. My stories that I've republished through Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing were certainly good enough to have appeared previously in various small-press zines. At least one of them ("Vengeance of the Alpe") appeared in two different zines (the All Souls' Night 2010 issue of Hungur and then the April 2012 issue of Night to Dawn).


As for the argument that works self-published through Amazon are almost invariably published without benefit of editing, let me point out that all of my stories currently in the Kindle Store were supposedly edited prior to their original publication, not that they needed much editing. I certainly went through them again prior to submitting them to Kindle Direct Publishing.

When I was preparing 'Vengeance of the Alpe" for submission to Kindle Direct Publishing, I compared the file of the story to its edited version in the zine that originally published the work. I found all of ONE change made to the published version, a paragraph break where I had no break. As a matter of fact, I actually found and corrected one typo (one instance where I had typed "aple" instead of "alpe") that had made it into the published version.

Anyway, here are links to the stories of mine currently live in the Kindle Store:

Vengeance of the Alpe [Kindle Edition]

Father Ryan's Fright [Kindle Edition]

The Redcap of Glamtallon [Kindle Edition]

Those from the Shadows [Kindle Edition]


No comments: