Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Give up on Art? NEVER!

A current open discussion over on the Redbubble blog asks the question:
Do You Ever Feel Like Giving Up on Art?

My response to the question:

Give up on art entirely? No. Give up on certain aspects of it? Yes.

I've come close to giving up on the publication side of art, cover-art and interior illustrations for publications. I do find myself concentrating more and more on my on-line shops (Redbubble, CafePress, and Zazzle), and less and less on unsolicited works for submission to publications. I have become frustrated with the world of publications, and such frustration has quenched my desire to keep trying to move up in that world. At times, it seems like I'm just banging my head against a brick wall.

Now, I will admit, real life has gotten in the way from time to time. I spent several years working "real" jobs, and I've set art aside for a while, but I've always come back to it.

Being an artist is a part of who I am. Give up art? I might as well give up breathing!


No comments: