Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Few Words About Critical Literary Analysis

Critical literary analysis: is that like when an academic or a reader says an author described the curtains as blue to symbolize depression when the author simply liked the colour blue?

I speak from experience. One time, I was told by a fellow poet who read my horror poem "The Dark Host" that the piece seemed to be a symbolism of the spread of a virulent plague. Actually, I meant the poem to be a fairly straightforward depiction of the Sluagh, the roving host of the restless dead from Scottish lore.

I have to admit, it makes me feel like an even more accomplished a poet to think that readers of "The Dark Host" might interpret is as having deeper meanings than I intended. However, I know exactly what my intentions were when writing it, and they weren't to write a symbolist piece about disease. In other words, the curtains were blue simply to be blue.

No comments: