Friday, August 22, 2014

Participated in Author Q & A at eFestival of Words Virtual Book Fair

Earlier today, I participated in an Authot Q & A over at the eFestival of Words Virtual Book Fair. It went well, though the author Q & A quickly turned into an artist Q & A.  I answered questions about what inspires my art and writing, and whether or not I've had any formal art training (I have not). One person even mentioned that the style of my art reminds him of the illustrations in the old-time Dungeon & Dragons rulebooks, which is no coincidence. I am heavily influenced by the style of the illustrations in those role playing game rulebooks of the '70s and '80s.

Though I ended up talking a lot about my art, I did talk a bit about my story "Sing the Bones Alive" and my writing in general. I mentioned that reading about the singing wizards of Finnish and Welsh folklore in the Time-Life book The Enchanted World: Wizards and Witches directly inspired "Sing the Bones Alive". When someone asked if I illustrated my own stories, I managed to slip in a link to my fantasy adventure story "An Evil in Carnlinton", since I did do the illustration for that one.

Overall, I think the Author Q & A was a success. It was fun!

No comments: