Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Realisation

Today, I realised something. I realised that I've been letting all those "rules of writing" out there fog my artistic vision. I realised that I've let all those who say "you can't do this" and "you can't do that" stifle my creative voice. I've finally realised that I should rewrite my shelved fantasy novel, and rewrite it in the way I want to write it. I have always believed in the story and the characters, and I think I've finally regained my belief in myself.

So, if I want to begin my story with a snowstorm, I'm going to begin my story with a snowstorm. If I want rich description, I'm going to have rich description. If I want a blond haired blue eyed prince as my protagonist, I'm going to have a blond haired blue eyed prince as my protagonist. If I want my protagonist to be a reflection of me, sort of my fantasy alter ego, I'm going to have my protagonist be my alter ego. If I want my main character to raise his fist to the sky during a snowstorm in a futile gesture of defiance, he is going to raise his fist, because that's the sort of character he is (kind of like me). If I want elves, I'm going to have elves (though I might make them even more like the Celtic fairies and call them something other than elves).

If I do this, will I succeed, or will I fail? I don't know, but I will never know if I don't try.

Oh, yes, and if I want my main character to speak lines like this, he will speak lines like this (though I might change "I'm" to "I am"):

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"
- Andrew of Armar

No comments: