Sunday, July 13, 2014

Drawing Thistles (and Other Things)

In an on-line spat with some distant in-laws I don't even know, it was pointed out to me that many people in that clan are convinced that I'm a "prick with nothing to do but bash others through social media and draw thistles".
 
Ignoring the none-too-subtle insult in the first part of that statement, I gotta ask: what does me drawing thistles have to do with anything other than the fact that I draw various nationality/heraldic-type designs for use on items in my on-line stores? Is pointing out that I "draw thistles" supposed to be some kind of insult?


Well, drawing thistles, and knights, and dragons, and wizards, and sorceresses, and unicorns, and monsters, and swords, and aliens, happens to be my job! I actually do sell my art to publications and on merchandise. 

I will admit, I did draw this thistle:

Scottish Thistle and Saltire Decal 

Of course, merchandise featuring that thistle sells, and sells well. The sticker I linked to is rather popular, especially Down Under.

Now, keep in mind, I do draw more than just thistles. The work I do for publications is particularly varied in scope:

- I drew strange alien frogs for my cover-art on Issue 9 of Plasma Frequency.

- I drew a falchion-wielding under-sheriff confronting the ghosts of a haunted city in my illustration for my own fantasy adventure story "An Evil in Carnlinton", published in the February 2014 issue of Sorcerous Signals.
- I drew the hag of the River Tees for my folkloric artwork "Peg Powler", which appears on the cover of the July 2013 issue of Spaceports and Spidersilk.
- I drew a black male scientist/astronaut/aquanaut and a white female scientist/astronaut/aquanaut riding in a mini-sub under the ice on Enceladus in my cover for the July 2014 issue of Spaceports and Spidersilk.
- I drew a wizard confronting a scaly red dragon in my artwork  on the cover of the July 2013 issue of Bards and Sages Quartlerly.
- I drew a green-bladed sword in  my illustration for Will Maier's story "A Pale Green Blade", published in the May 2014 issue of Sorcerous Signals.
- I drew a  dust cloud parting to reveal a monstrous tentacled creature in "The Devourer Cometh", my cover-art for Disturbed Digest, Issue #3.
- I drew a nurse with glowing red eyes in my illustration for Joyce Frohn's story "Room 116", published in the July 2014 issue of The Lorelei Signal.
- I drew an alms-seeking witch accompanied by an invisible beast in my illustration for Matthew Wilson's poem "The Old Witch", published in the January 2014 issue of The Lorelei Signal.
- I drew aliens riding in a groovy flying saucer bedecked with flowers and other peaceful symbols in my cover artwork for the January 2014 issue of Spaceports and Spidersilk.
- I drew a human and his dragon-fly-winged fairy pet in my illustration for
Francis W Alexander's poem "My Pet, His Pet", published in the February 2014 issue of Sorcerous Signals.

And so on and so forth.


I also draw more than just thistles for designs used on merchandise sold through my stores:

- I drew three demonic trees sporting dreadful faces and grasping limbs in my dark artwork "Denizens of the Diabolic Wood".
- I drew Saint George clad in the gear of a Late Roman cavalryman in my "Roman Saint George".
- I drew a lad clad in long coat and black hat adorned with skull-and-crossbones in my "Cute Pirate Lad".
- I drew the the crowned heart and clasping hands of the claddagh ring surrounded by Celtic-style knotwork in my "Claddagh and Knotwork".
- I drew a a distinctly Irish ring pommel sword based on swords carried by Irish kerns in a 16th century woodcut and combined it with knotwork bands in my "Irish Sword and Knotwork".
- I drew an Allosaurus, a Tyrannosaurus rex, a Brachiosaurus, a Stegosaurus, and a Triceratiops.
- I drew a cadaverous vampire gnawing on its own burial shroud in my horror artwork "Shroudeater", which originally appeared alongside my poem "Shroudeater" in the Walpurgisnacht 2010 issue of Hungur.
- I drew a knight that displayed the nomenclature of the various pieces of plate armour worn by English knights circa 1430 in my "Plate Armour Circa 1430".
- I drew planets emerging from the nebula stream emitted by an alien god’s shining eye in my weird sci-fi artwork "In the Cosmic God's Eye".
- going back to the original theme of floral emblems, for the national symbols of Wales, I drew a "Leek and Daffodil Crossed".

And so on and so forth.

No comments: