Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Do I Show What I Intended to Show: Agree, or Disagree?

One of the purposes behind my colourful sci-fi artwork "Under the Ice on Enceladus", which appears on the cover of the July 2014 issue of Spaceports and Spidersilk, is to show that persons of colour and women may be scientists/astronauts/aquanauts. Using a picture instead of words, I'm trying to say that interplanetary exploration is not restricted to white men only. After all, they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

However, it has been pointed out to me that others will disagree, so I should expect flack. The implication is that others will argue that I don't show what I claim to show.

Well, do I or don't I show what I intended to show? Am I truly making a difference, even in a small way, with my purposeful inclusion of a black male scientist/astronaut/aquanaut and a white female scientist/astronaut/aquanaut in "Under the Ice on Enceladus", or was that inclusion a clumsy and futile gesture?


A little recognition for my efforts would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath awaiting recognition that might never come. I gotta say, even a little flack would be better than complete silence. I suspect I might not receive any flack because many of those who might send it my way see me and my work as unimportant and not worth the bother.

1 comment:

Richard Fay said...

"Under the Ice on Enceladus" will be going on items in my stores, eventually, so it will get exposure beyond SPACEPORTS & SPIDERSILK.