Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Term "Strong Female Character" is Gibberish?

I know I should never follow where curiosity leads when it has to do with crazy-net nutters, but sometimes I just can't help myself. While being involved in a crazy-net flame war over at the comments on RiotousPeople's video Feminism Vs Misandry, I wandered off to discover a bit more about my opponent in the internet pissing match and happened across this video: 
The Idea of Strong Female Characters


Now, the really interesting bit for me was in the comments. One person commenting on this video, who also happens to be my opponent in the pissing match in the comments over at the "Feminism Vs Misandry" video, apparently thinks the term "strong female character" is gibberish.

Oh, really? What a bunch of sexist hogwash! I say it is a perfectly valid term. Heck, I consider the main character in my published horror short story "The Redcap of Glamtallon" to be something of a strong female character. I've also illustrated several strong female characters featured in the works of other authors.


"Strong" seems a perfectly legitimate adjective to me. It may suggest either strength of body or strength of spirit. It may also suggest competence and ableness. "Female" obviously denotes  someone with two X chromosomes. "Character" happens to be the standard term for a person in a literary or dramatic work. Put them all together, and what do you have? "Strong Female Character". I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that term.
 


I dare the commenter to tell some of the genre writers I know (and know of) his opinion regarding the term strong female character. I dare him to tell them he thinks the term is gibberish. They'll eat him for breakfast!

No comments: