Friday, June 27, 2014

Ann Coulter is a Stupid Bitch, Because Soccer Was a Big Deal in Soccertown, USA!

Right-wing pundit Ann Coulter has opened her stupid mouth again, this time saying some idiotic things about America''s growing interest in soccer:
Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

The part I really take issue with is Ann Coulter's statement that:
 I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer.
You see, I was born and raised in a town in Upstate New York that became known as "Soccertown USA". This epithet dates back to the 1970s. Soccer was a big-deal in "Soccertown USA" going back decades.

My hometown became known as "Soccertown, USA" after a local college soccer team won the national championship in 1977 (yes, that's 1977). That same town used to be the home of the National Soccer Hall of Fame. The National Soccer Museum opened it doors there in 1979 (yes, that's 1979). The U.S. Soccer Federation recognized it as the official National Soccer Hall of Fame in 1983 (yes, that's 1983).

From a more personal persepctive, I recall at least one of my classmates (with a Celtic-type surname) was really into soccer, both playing it and following the pros. There may have been others, but I remember this kid in particular because he was really into soccer big-time. Though I was never into it much myself, I do remember when Pele was still playing professionally. He was a big deal, probably the greatest player of all time.

Ann Coulter is a stupid hateful bitch.

No comments: