Monday, June 30, 2014

An Artist/Illustrator/Writer/Poet, Too...

Today, I had more Tweets from jackasses crying "block me, block me!". Just a couple, though. I bet these jackasses didn't take the time to look at any of my art or read any of my creative works. It's all about that Marion Zimmer Bradley opinion-piece blog post of mine and things I subsequently said on Twitter and elsewhere during and after the Twitter encounter I had with poet/author/lawyer/activist Elizabeth R. McClellan.

I admit to being less-than-nice during and after that encounter, but I have said before that I am no longer playing these asinine game some people in the genre writing world seem to like to play. I consider entering into a ridiculous debate, which includes an absurd demand for CITATIONS! over my use of the word "ban" in my line "I would not call for a wholesale ban of her works", to be an example of playing asinine games. Even so, at first I did make something of an effort to provide citations, until it became obvious to me that the so-called "discussion" was going nowhere fast. As I said at the time, I started to think I was in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. Yes, I did end up telling Ms. McClellan that I would block her "sorry ass" if she continued the "discussion" (which she initiated - she commented on my space on Twitter, NOT the other way 'round). Yes, I then ended up blocking her on Twitter when she did try to continue a discussion I had no desire to continue. I will do the same to others who give me grief over my MZB post or anything else I say in my own spaces on-line. My space, my rules.
Frankly, in my own personal corners of the crazy-net, I would rather concentrate on things others than debating whether or not to ban or boycott a dead author's works for despicable things the author may have done in life. I would rather concentrate on creative things, and I find such debates as this MZB one to be a terrible distraction from more creative things. I'm not just a guy with a less-than-popular opinion about banning/not banning MZB's works. I'm not just a guy who pissed off Elizabeth R. McClellan. I'm also an artist/illustrator/writer/poet. Unfortunately, I think some people are just going to see me as the guy who voiced a less-than popular opinion about banning/not banning MZB's works and the guy who pissed off Elizabeth R. McClellan. So sad!

Oh, as for my "Nazi" reference which seems to have riled up some people, along with artist/illustrator/writer/poet, I also happen to be a WWII history buff. It is true that I think of the Nazi book burnings whenever anyone speaks of burning books. Perhaps I should be less honest next time and not post my thoughts publicly, since those thoughts only seem to get me into more trouble.

(BTW, though I do not give a tweeet-by-tweet account of the entire "discussion" here, my Tweets in reply to those from Ms. McClellan may be viewed in my previous entry: Twitter Fight Over my Marion Zimmer Bradley Opinion Piece Blog Entry.)

A poet, too...http://azurelionproductions.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-poet-too.html
An artist/illustrator too...http://azurelionproductions.blogspot.com/2014/06/an-artistillustrator-too.html
A writer, too...http://azurelionproductions.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-writer-too.html