Saturday, May 31, 2014

Threat or No Threat?

Over the past few days, I've witnessed another strange incident in crazy genre-land. This time, if I'm following this mess-of-a-story correctly, reactions to a certain writer's publicly-posted displeasure over comments made regarding a convention panel discussion he was part of  led to accusations that his supporters made threats, via Twitter, against the commentator. The writer made it known that he was angry and disgusted by the thought that any of his supporters might have made such threats.

Well, as it turns out, no actual threats were made. Imagine that? I gather that the writer who was momentarily caught in the center of this latest genre world shitstorm wants to draw a curtain on the whole sad affair. Frankly, I don't blame him. Of course, being a loudmouth brat with a strong penchant for histrionics, I have some words of advice for those a**holes who flung about the accusations of threats being made and the whole sorry bunch of miserable asses constantly causing trouble for other writers.

Firstly, to those in the genre world who feel threatened by loudly voiced differences in opinion and beliefs: stop being such whiny wimpy children! Stop acting like little kids! Grow up! Stop acting so damned fragile! Grow the thick skin that's required integument for all writers! Perhaps some people didn't like the fact that others may have bitched, complained, and ranted about the whole issue. Perhaps they were annoyed that opinions expressed by others didn't necessarily match their own. If that's the case, all I can say in reply is: TOUGH SHIT!

Secondly, look up the definition of the word "threat". A writer should posses a rich vocabulary and display an adept knowledge of words and their meanings. Even if you really don't understand the meaning of the word "threat", it's easy enough to to find the definition online. Personally, I like to use Dictionary.com. According to that source, "threat" is defined as:
1. a declaration of an intention or determination to inflict punishment, injury, etc., in retaliation for, or conditionally upon, some action or course; menace: He confessed under the threat of imprisonment.
2. an indication or warning of probable trouble: The threat of a storm was in the air.
3. a person or thing that threatens.
Thirdly, stop lying and/or twisting facts. Stop flinging around untrue accusations. Such things can damage the reputations of basically decent people. If you want to truly shine, rise above the mucky mire. Stop acting like pathetic pond scum!

Finally, stop being such bellicose dicks! Be constructive rather than destructive. Stop wasting so much of your precious time stirring up shitstorm, after shitstorm, after shitstorm. Spend more time writing and less time fighting. You might find that you make more of a difference actually doing something, rather than just fighting with other writers all the bloody time!

Anyway, I should thank these people for once again proving my point about how some genre writers involved in these in-fights and uproars end up looking like miserable rotten wretches, and how the genre writing world can appear to be such a nasty quarrelsome place at times. It can be a real dung heap!

5 comments:

Richard Fay said...

Calling some writers whiny wimpy children & bellicose dicks may be hypocritical for a guy who's bitched about name-calling, but I'm rather angry right now! I'm angry that some people in the genre world keep causing trouble for others in that world. I'm especially angry that the latest incident I witnessed involved the false accusation that threats were made. It's insane!

Richard Fay said...

If calling for some sanity in the genre writing world is wrong, then I don't want to be right!

Richard Fay said...

BTW, treat me with respect, and I will treat you with respect.

Treat me (or my family and friends) with disrespect, I may just treat you the same way!

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I really like this line: "Grow the thick skin that's required integument for all writers!"

Richard Fay said...

I think that may be the best line in the whole entry.

I know I get annoyed by nastiness and name-calling, but some writers seem offended by almost everything.