Thursday, May 29, 2014

Start With a BANG!

If ever I write stories again, I may just write one in which the first word is "Bang!", just so I can say my story starts off with a bang. Of course, it's probably been done before, perhaps lots of times, which would make it a cliche.

The closest I've come so far is probably my fantasy adventure story "An Evil in Carnlinton", which starts off with the line:
With hoarse cries of “Rape! Murder! Sacrilege!” Father Ifan raised the hue-and-cry in the village of Glannonford.
Is that attention-grabbing enough? I like to think so.

With some editors potentially judging whether or not to continue reading a story based on whether or not the first paragraph grabs their attention, I can see the reason for starting off with a bang. However, I do think some people get a little hung up on judging a story by the first paragraph or page when they really should look at the whole story. I think it's a bit unfair to judge a story based solely on whether or not the first paragraph grabs you.

No comments: