Sunday, May 4, 2014

Illustrations in May - Jul '14 Sorcerous Signals

Three different illustrations composed by yours truly now appear on the Sorcerous Signals site. I did the illo for Will Maier's story "A Pale Green Blade" and the illo for M.J. Waller's story "A Plague of Daffodils" that now appear in the May - Jul '14 Issue. My illo for the Mystic Signals exclusive story "Uncle Jusquin" by DeAnna Knippling also appears on the Sorcerous Signals site in the ToC for the May - Jul '14 issue. Check them out!

In the illo for Will Maier's story, I got to draw a sword, which means I was well within my comfort zone with this illustration (once I figured out just how I wanted to do it). I based the sword in the illo  on an actual medieval sword, a sword that was once part of the collection in the British Museum and then part of the collection in The Royal Armouries, sword XVIa. 1 in Ewart Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword. A pic of the sword that served as my inspiration can be found accompanying Chad Arnow's article about Oakeshott Type XVI swords on the myArmoury.com site.

I was able to do something somewhat humourous in the illo for M.J. Waller's story. It was a nice change from more serious stuff. I had fun with it, and I think it fits the story well.

No comments: