Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Even More Hostility in the Genre World?

I see on Twitter that N. K. Jemisin has called for people in the genre to attack bigotry whenever they find it. That's all fine and dandy, except for the fact that attacking bigotry in the genre almost always means attacking people in the genre. So, can we expect even more incidents like the Tim Bolgeo and Elizabeth Moon ones? Can we expect even more hostility in the genre realm?

Sigh. As far as I'm concerned, those doing the attacking often end up looking at least as intolerant and despicable as those being attacked. It's rather unpleasant to watch, and those doing the attacking can be pretty damned nasty about it.

I don't want to be a part of such a toxic community populated with such bellicose figures. My side of the family is like that, toxic and bellicose. I stopped having anything to do with them a long time ago. I've been much happier since I cut off contact with my toxic relatives.

There was a time I wished for respect from my side of the family, but I eventually came to the realization that it doesn't matter what those wretches think of me. Their opinions matter not.

I used to want to be somebody in the realm of genre fiction and the realm of SF&F art. I used to wish for some respect and recognition from others in the genre realm. I don't think I care about that anymore. I have realized that the opinions of many of those wretches in the genre realm matter not.

I'm definitely sticking to mostly commissioned art and art for my stores. As for writing, I no longer have the motivation to write. Writing would keep me in a world I no longer wish to be a part of (though I was never really much of a part of that world).

I may once again see myself called a "Grade A Five Star Moron" for saying these things. Heck, I might get called a lot worse this time. I'm waiting for the accusations that I'm a racist and a misogynist. No, I'm just someone who finds his mood adversely affected by all the nastiness and hostility in the genre world. I don't want to be miserable, I want to be happy (or as near to happy as I can come). If that means staying away from the grade-school playground that is the genre world, so be it!

No comments: