Thursday, February 13, 2014

Your Bloody Face

Shared this before, but since it's one day until Valentine's Day, I figured I would share it again:

Your Bloody Face

I see your face in all things.
It mouths silent words of love
On a blank monitor screen.
It stares sadly back at me
From a rain-streaked window pane.
It appears amongst the crowd
On a bustling city street.

I see your face at all times.
It bothers my troubled dreams
And follows me through the day.
It lurks within my mad mind
And haunts my guilt-ridden soul.
It's there when I close my eyes,
A reminder of my crime.

I see your face before me.
Its gore-stained cheeks bear pale tracks
Where tears washed away the blood.
Its sunken eyes full of death
Drive me to a grisly fate.
It laughs at the irony
As hot lead rips through my brain.

(Originally published in Tales from the Moonlit Path, Issue 9, February 2008.)

Copyright © 2008 Richard H. Fay

No comments: