Thursday, February 13, 2014

Polymath (or Polyhistor), or Just Full Of Myself?

Though I'm officially educated in the sciences (B.S. in Biology, majored in biology with an automatic minor in chemistry), I have read numerous tomes about medieval history, historical arms and armour, World War II, armoured warfare, folklore (especially fairy folklore), mythology, monsters, and the paranormal. I have seen several of my non-fiction articles published, articles covering subjects ranging from fairy lore to medieval history, from vampiric UFOs to speculative poetry. I was formerly a lab-technician-turned-home-educator, and now I'm a poet/writer and an artist/illustrator. I also consider myself something of a medievalist and an amateur folklorist.

Does this make me a polymath (or possibly a polyhistor)? Or am I just full of myself?

Anyway, here's a list of my published non-fiction articles:

Edward IV..........Abandoned Towers, Issue #7, November 2010.
Robert the Bruce..........Abandoned Towers, Issue #6, July 2010.
The Alp and the Schrattl..........Hungur, Issue 10, Walpurgisnacht 2010.
The Good and the Bad of Critiques..........Creator and the Catalyst, August 2009.
Speculative Poetry: Past, Present, and Future..........on-line version of Abandoned Towers, January 2009; also Illumen, Issue 17, Autumn 2012.
Vampiric UFOs..........Hungur, Issue 7, All Souls' Night 2008.
Vampiric Creatures of Ancient Myth and Legend..........Hungur, Issue 6, Walpurgisnacht, 2008.
The Darker Side of Fairy Lore..........Doorways Magazine, Killer Holiday Issue, Issue 4, January 2008.

My first article to appear anywhere was a piece I did about the battle of Stamford Bridge for the myArmoury.com web site:
The Battle of Stamford Bridge: An article by Richard H. Fay

2 comments:

Richard Fay said...

Back when I was in college, I did try to take a few courses in other subjects outside of the required math and science. I took Introduction to World Religions and History of the Early Middle Ages. I actually drew some illustrations for a term paper about castles I wrote for the history course. I still have them.

Richard Fay said...

Not to brag or anything, but my only grade below an A at SUNY Albany was my grade in Introduction to World Religions. I go an A-. Actually, over twenty years later, I'm still a bit pissed about it. But for that stupid A-, I would have graduated with a 4.0!