Monday, April 15, 2013

Thoughts on the Albany High School Nazi Assignment


Albany school district apologizes over Nazi assignment

Silly me! I thought a part of being a responsible adult meant understanding that certain things are inappropriate under certain circumstances. Apparently, that's not necessarily the case.

I applaud the third of the class that refused to do the assignment. I'm of the opinion that they acted more like adults than did the teacher who handed out that assignment. Considering the plethora of other options out there for use as a topic in a persuasive argument assignment, I think the teacher displayed very poor judgment in choosing that particular one. Yes, some people do still react emotionally to topics related to Nazism and the Holocaust. Such things should be taken into consideration by teachers in public high schools prior to handing out assignments like this one. That's part of being a responsible adult.

BTW, if some see me as being less of an adult and lacking in intellect for my opinions on this matter, so be it! I stand by my assertion that adults should know certain things are inappropriate under certain circumstances. Frankly, I get sick of those intellectuals who seem to lack any sort of common sense (although I am wise enough to know that common sense really isn't very common at all). 

Can such an assignment be done on a purely intellectual level? Of course. Does that make it an appropriate assignment for high school students? Not necessarily.

There is a bigger picture to all this, beyond the purely intellectual one

No comments: