Friday, January 25, 2013

One More Publication For 2012


Here is a 2012 publication I missed. My horror artwork "The Dark Host" appears on page 36 of the All Souls' Night 2012 issue of the Sam's Dot print magazine Hungur. It accompanies Terrie Leigh Relf's poem "Once Upon a Time We Thought Them Gods", which was inspired by the artwork. It's always cool when my creative works inspire the creative works of others!

Why did I miss this publication, you might ask? Well, I didn't know about the publication of the art until Terrie told me it had been published, since it had been omitted from the ToC for the All Souls' Night 2012 Hungur posted in the Sam's Dot bookstore. Plus, my contributor's copy was mailed late. I only received it today! Even after contracts are signed or otherwise agreed to, I don't like to announce the publication of a work until I'm sure that work has been published. Things can change, a work can be moved from one issue to another, or get dropped altogether.

To add to my confusion, I had written a new poem, "The Hungering Host", to accompany the artwork, but the poem had been accepted for the April 30th 2013 Hungur. Thus, I assumed both art and poem were going to appear in that later issue. However, Terrie had also written a poem of her own to go with the artwork. As it turned out, her poem and my artwork were published in the All Souls' Night 2012 issue. It appears that my poem "The Hungering Host" will appear in the April 30th 2013 issue.

Confused yet? Wait, it gets even better! This artwork was originally created as an illustration for my ill-fated illustrated dark speculative poetry collection, as an accompaniment to my poem "The Dark Host". However, since the poem "The Dark Host" had already been slated for publication in another zine at the same time the artwork "The Dark Host" was under consideration at Hungur, I couldn't send Terrie that poem when she asked for a poem or story to go with the artwork. That's when I wrote "The Hungering Host", but the artwork ended up appearing alongside Terrie's poem.

It appears that fate doesn't want "The Dark Host" artwork appearing alongside one of my poems! I'm not complaining, though, since I'll now have works in two consecutive issues of Hungur. In a way, that works out better for me.

No comments: