Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Art Looks Like it was Done in Third Grade?


I was just told by one writer that some examples of my cover artwork look like they were done in third grade.

Well, my third-grade artwork keeps selling, and selling, and selling. Granted, all my sales in the publication realm have been to small presses, but I've seen quite a number of such sales, and that number keeps growing, and growing, and growing. Plus, I also sell my designs to the general public, on merchandise available through my Azure Lion Productions Zazzle store and my Richard Fay Redbubble portfolio.

I'm proud of all my cover artworks. I'm especially proud of some of them, like the artwork I did for David C. Kopaska-Merkel's Brushfires and Shelly Bryant's Under the Ash. I think I did a damned fine job on my latest cover artwork, which appeared on the cover of Plasma Frequency, Issue 2. Then there is my fantasy piece "Conjuring the Dragon" on the cover of Issue 32 of OG's Speculative Fiction.

So, do these look like they were done in third grade?

Mind you, my first cover artwork, "A Leviathan Ascendant" on Abandoned Towers, Issue 3 (which also appeared in the Nov 2009 issue of MindFlights and as an artwork sample accompanying an artist interview in the April 2010 issue of Residential Aliens), may not be as refined as my more recent works. However, keep in mind that my use of a somewhat ligne claire (clear line) style is deliberate. It seems to work for me. It seems to work for the editors buying my works.If the objective of cover art is to attract attention, I think my cover artworks accomplish that goal admirably. The subject matter is always clear and often boldly coloured.

Someone who insults my work is obviously no friend of mine. I don't expect my friends to be fawning fans, but I would like a little respect for my success. I won't put up with put downs.

Why is it some writers feel a need to tell others what they should and should not do, perhaps more so than people in other fields? What makes them feel they are better judges of things (like art) than other people? Why don't they just stick to writing?

I think the time has come once again to concentrate on my Zazzle and Redbubble stuff.

No comments: