Monday, September 3, 2012

Wizardly Fantasy Story ACCEPTED!!!


It looks like my wizardly fantasy story has been ACCEPTED!!! The editor of Bards and Sages Quarterly says she would like to use my story "Sing the Bones Alive" in their January issue. Yay!

It only took twelve tries before "Sing the Bones Alive" saw an acceptance. Before this positive reply, the story saw ten rejections and one withdrawal. I guess it was a good thing I didn't stuff it into the trunk-of-no-return. I guess it was just a matter of finding the right market.

I figured "Sing the Bones Alive" would have difficulty finding a home, not because it's badly written, but because I went against the grain when it comes to what's expected from fantasy stories nowadays. However, I didn't think it would take quite so long (close to two years) before the story got accepted somewhere. I was about ready to give up.

Now, if all goes according to plan, "Sing the Bones Alive" will be published in the January issue of Bards and Sages Quarterly, and my redcap horror story will be published in the March issue of Cover of Darkness. With "Vengeance of the Alpe", which was published in the All Souls' Night 2010 issue of Hungur and the April 2012 issue of Night to Dawn, come March 2013, three of my stories longer than drabbles will have been published in four different zines. Does that mean I will actually be able to call myself a writer?

I know, the pieces have to be published first. I do know you should never count your chickens before they hatch, especially when it comes to counting chickens in the publication realm.

No comments: