Monday, July 23, 2012

Singing the Rejection Blues, Again (With Comments)


My story's been rejected
They say it's no damned good
My story's been rejected
It's never gonna find a home

My story's been rejected
Again, and again, and again.
My story's been rejected
And now my heart is broke

My story's been rejected
And I ain't gonna write no more
no more
Ain't gonna write no more
no more
Ain't gonna write
no more

Got a story rejection with feedback from four different readers. One of four readers really liked the story and thought it was very cute. The other three had rather different opinions. They thought the story was too predictable/didn't take enough risks/had a weak conflict/was a weak story.

Hmm. Could be real flaws. However, at least one of the readers critical of the work also said it "has too much of a fairy tale feel to it". Um, it's a tale about the fairies, a story based on a true Irish ghost tale of years ago. It's supposed to have a fairy tale feel to it. It's supposed to feel like the tales the seanchaithe would tell. That was my intent.

One reader, the one who liked the story, did say something about there being some misspellings. I thought that comment was interesting. I wonder, did the reader realise that I tend to use UK spellings? Most of what I read has been penned by British or Anglophile authors. The UK spellings have rubbed off on me.

This prose writing thing is getting me nowhere fast. I can write poems editors like well enough to publish. I can write non-fiction articles that editors like well enough to publish. I can even compose artworks editors like well enough to publish. With only a few exceptions, I simply can't seem to write prose fiction that editors like well enough to publish. I can't seem to write the prose fiction editors want for their zines. I thought I could. Based on my success with poetry and non-fiction, I really thought I might be able to write publishable prose fiction, too. Apparently, I was wrong.

That was the ninth rejection for the fairy story in question, tenth if you count the time a market released it back to me because they retrospectively closed to submissions. I'll dutifully send the story back out there, but at this point, I don't know why I should bother. My time might be better spent on other things.

And I really wanted to be a writer of prose fiction, too. Unfortunately, the gatekeepers aren't allowing me through that particular gate. I guess I have to settle for poet/writer of non-fiction/artist/illustrator. I guess I can't have it all.

No comments: