Monday, July 30, 2012

Another Rejection That's Making Me Rethink This Whole Writing Thing



More proof that it's not the clarity of my writing, it's other things. A fairy story of mine has been turned down yet again. Here is what the latest rejecting editor said about the story:

"What I liked: Cleanly written. Solid characters and realistic dialogue.

Why I rejected: The story felt too predictable... There's not a huge amount of tension, and the pacing feels off..."

That's at least the second time this story has received the dreaded criticism of "too predictable". It's not the way I write so much as it's what I write.

I might be better off sticking to art. As I've said before, this writing thing is getting me nowhere.

2 comments:

Rhonda Parrish said...

It's tough to know what to say in response to this. On one hand I want to encourage you to keep at it because I know as well as anyone how freaking discouraging writing can be. I've thought about throwing in the towel more times than I can count. I'm always glad that I haven't, eventually, but I know that miserable feeling of "I'm a hack, I can't do this, why am I kidding myself?"

But I'm not you. I can't possibly know what is right for you.

Maybe if writing is really just bringing you down these days you ought to try a break from it to focus on your art and see what happens. I mean, it's not going anywhere, right? You can always come back to it if you discover that you've made a mistake.

For what it's worth though, I think you're too hard on yourself ;)

~ Rhonda Parrish

Richard Fay said...

I'm always too hard on myself.

All these rejections of my prose are getting me down. It's having an adverse effect on my mood and self-esteem. The perplexing nature of it is driving me nuts. I can't quite figure out how I can do so well with poetry and yet do so badly with prose.

In some ways, I'm lucky. I have my art and poetry (although I haven't been writing a lot of poetry lately). My art sells, within the realm of publication as well as outside of it. I think it's only wise to go with what's working, and set aside what's not, for now anyway.