Thursday, February 16, 2012

More on Contracts...

All the time, I enter into contracts that give publishers exclusive rights to the materials in question for a limited time (usually six months to a year). I understand that I do not have the right to sell such material elsewhere until such time as the rights revert back to me. It would be foolish of me to try; I would be in breach of contract. I would be in breach of an agreement I entered into willingly.

Understand what you are signing, folks. Understand what rights you retain, and what rights you give up (even for a limited time).

If you think a company is trying to get you to enter into an unethical agreement, don't enter into that agreement. If you think a company is trying to get you to sign an unfair contract, don't sign it. If you don't understand a contract, get someone to explain it to you before you sign on the dotted line. Don't enter willingly into an unfair contract and then complain months or years down the line that the terms are unfair, and express your anger and frustration over those terms by doing something that is in breach of contract.

Do two wrongs make a right? Is it really worth doing something wrong, something that could come back and bite you in the ass, to make your point?

What ever happened to personal responsibility? It's never the fault of the poor creators who enter into these agreements, is it? Are creators that bloody stupid?

No comments: