Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Finally, a Rejection With Truly Helpful Comments!

Today, I received a rejection with comments. These comments actually seem to be of the helpful (and even hopeful) type. The editor said he enjoyed the story, but felt it was much too close to H. P. Lovecraft's "From Beyond" to publish. He also said he likes my style, and would love to receive another submission from me if I have something else that may fit the magazine.

I didn't realise the story might be so similar to that Lovecraft piece (I am familiar with "From Beyond"), but thinking about it now, the editor may be right. I may have let my influences influence me too much with this one. I'll have to learn to watch out for that. I'll probably have to shelve this particular story, unless I decide to do a major revision.

However, in brighter news, an editor said they enjoyed a story of mine and like my writing style! That's certainly a step in the right direction! Unfortunately, I don't really have another story of a similar nature to send their way right now.

With the probable shelving of the story that may be too close to Lovecraft's "From Beyond", I'm now down to three stories in submission limbo. I know what some of you might say: "write more". The question is, should I really be writing more, or should I be drawing more? At this moment in time, I've got a lot more art ideas than I have story ideas.

No comments: