Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pearl Harbor Day

December 7th. The Day of Infamy. Pearl Harbor Day. Seventy years ago today, the Japanese launched a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, an event that led to the entry of the United States of America into World War II.

During my youth, the war was still very much a part of living memory. My grandfather had been in the Marines, and fought at Guadalcanal (although my grandmother claimed that he spent his whole time in the corps in the brig). My wife's grandmother lost her brother, who died in a friendly fire incident in the Pacific theater. I once had a hand-me-down cookbook full of rationing recipes, like a sugar cookie recipe that used less sugar, because sugar was a precious commodity during rationing.

The World War II generation, a generation that at least one journalist/writer has called "the Greatest Generation", has been leaving us for a while now. Fewer and fewer remain every year. I fear that the memories are fading away. Let's not let the memories fade. Let's remember Pearl Harbor, and what it meant not only to history, but to the lives of the people who lived through those times.

No comments: