Sunday, December 18, 2011

Now I Know Why I'm Weird!

This is a very interesting, and enlightening, on-line article from Scientific American:
"The Unleashed Mind: Why Creative People Are Eccentric" by Shelley Carson

My reaction after reading the article: Wow! Some of the traits mentioned in the description of schizotypal personality (magical thinking, social anhedonia, mild paranoia) could be said to apply to me. I was told not that long ago that I seem to be a person who believes in odd things, because I do believe in the paranormal. Of course, I believe in the paranormal because I have experienced it. Some may say that this is an example of "unusual perceptual experiences" , but it wouldn't explain why my wife and I both heard laughter coming from an empty room. At least some of my experiences with the paranormal have been shared experiences, meaning they were experienced by me and at least one other person, not just me alone.

I have odd speech patterns, often not completing sentences. I even exhibit oddness in the way I write, with a strong preference for archaisms.

At times, I'm rather uncomfortable in social situations. I feel inept in face-to-face social situations, even if I'm not really acting in an inept fashion. I can certainly be inept when dealing with people in social networks.

I don't think I dress in an idiosyncratic style, unless you count the times I've donned my armour. Negative comments were once made about the photos of me in my armour that I had up on my Azure Lion Productions website, when I had a website. Now, if I got a tweed jacket, bow tie, and suspenders...

I certainly have an unconventional mode of thinking. Also, many of my greatest inspirations come in "aha!" moments, oftentimes when I'm trying to sleep. There are times my mind feels too full of ideas.

I don't always take the best care of myself, especially when I'm deeply involved in a creative project. Sometimes, I forget to eat lunch. I frequently have lunch late, because I put it off until my stomach complains too much to be ignored.

I feel like a square peg in a round hole all the bloody time! I even wrote a poem about not fitting in.

Like I said at the very beginning of my entry, wow! Much of this article describes me to a tee. I guess there are such things as creative types, and I'm one of them!

No comments: