Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Is A**hole the Default for Writers?

Damn it all! What is it, is a**hole the default for writers? I tried to give one writer some honest advice, telling him to watch his scornful attitude toward people who do other things than just write, and I was told I'm not a good enough "friend" of his to lecture him on how to be a good human being (I had been talking on-line with this person, on-and-off, for a while now). Oh, and I was "de-friended" for my efforts. I must have hit a nerve!

Hello! I was plenty of things before I was an artist/poet/(bit of a) writer. I had worked in a truly professional field long before I started regularly composing poetry, stories, articles, artwork, and illustrations for publication. Additionally, I'm also a husband and a father alongside being an artist/poet/(bit of a) writer. My life experiences should count for something. Apparently, they don't.

Mind you, I actually happen to be one of those people who does more than just write. I happen to be one of those people this writer was offending. Writing is only a part of what I do. It may even be a small part right now, but that doesn't me I'm not a writer, as well as a poet, and an artist, and an illustrator. I wrote "The Vengeance of the Alpe", the short story of mine that appeared in the All Souls Night 2010 issue of HUNGUR and is due to appear in Issue 22 of NIGHT TO DAWN, as well as my three drabbles that appeared in two issues of THE DRABBLER, my article "The Darker Side of Fairy Lore" that appeared in the January 2008 issue of DOORWAYS, and my various other articles in HUNGUR and ABANDONED TOWERS. These might be minor credits compared to the writing credits of many, but I'm still proud of them!

As for the writer in question, and all other writers who choose to act that way: go to hell! Go ahead, be an arrogant a**hole, then! Apparently, it's what some people think you have to be to be a part of the writing world. Just don't expect any respect from me. Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but, irregardless of their publication credits, I don't care to respect someone who insists on being an a**hole. I don't play those sorts of games! I lived too much of a life outside of writing to play those games. I've said as much over, and over, and over again.

I might not have the writing credits of some, but I've certainly lived more life experiences than a lot of writers I know. If that counts for nothing, then so be it! These people are a complete waste of my time!

Maybe I don't want to be a writer anymore. Maybe I don't want to turn into an a**hole.

2 comments:

Caledonia Lass said...

This person seems to be an exception to the norm when it comes to authors. First of all, not all of us are so insecure in our craft that we turn into a**holes. If he de-friended you, it is his loss and he won't garner any respect from the rest of us who write. You may think that those are minor credits, but I have been reading your blog, following your writing journey and I apologize for lurking. You have done very well for yourself! You should be proud! Congratulations to everything you have accomplished. Writers, as a whole, are more supportive of each other. So let this one go and move on. And again, I'm sorry for being a lurker and not stepping out until now to tell you what a fabulous job you are doing. :)

RHFay said...

Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated!

I do think writers should be supportive of each other, but I have seen a lot of negativity in the writing world. I believe some writers would rather be scornful than supportive.

Perhaps the arrogant wretches in the realm of writing are truly a vocal minority. Perhaps I tend to hear their voices above all others. Perhaps I've just had the bad luck of running into more than my fair share of louts.

I have begun to think insecurity may be at the root of some of the arrogance and contempt displayed by certain writers. These people also seem to have an obsession with defining writing as a career, and can be rather obnoxious about it.

There truly are many, many different levels and types of writer, just as there are many, many different forms of writing.

Writing doesn't have to be the single most important thing in the life of every single writer. I'm an artist as well as a writer of poetry and some prose, so I simply cannot make writing the single most important thing in my life. I think it would be ludicrous to suggest that I cease being a poet because my art is just as important. however, that seems to be the sort of reasoning espoused by at least one writer I know.

Anyway, you're right, it's time to let it go and move on. I've spent too much time and energy on the subject already.

Thanks for following my own writing journey. It's nice to know that some people are paying attention to what I do. I would hate to think that my work goes unnoticed.

Cheers!