Friday, November 5, 2010

Let the Rejections Begin!

I finished a wizardly fantasy story yesterday (November 4th), and sent it out into the cold, cruel world of publication submissions. Trying to follow the path many of my writer friends tell me I should follow, I sent it to a pro-venue. Well, it has already received rejection number one, and has been promptly sent off to pro-venue number two (more than likely to receive rejection number two).

Why am I going on about this, you might ask? Well, I think it might be interesting to see how long it actually takes this piece to find a home, how many rejections it will receive before it does find a home, and whether or not it will end up finding a home in a pro-publication before I run out of potential pro-venues. After all, there are only a small number of pro-venues publishing fantasy fiction.

Contrary to what some people may think, I wouldn't mind a few pro-sales under my belt. However, I'm a realist in regard to this issue. I know my chances of seeing any pro-sales are slim, especially with the sorts of stories I write.

Something tells me that my odds of placing this story in a pro-venue are very, very low. Not that I think the story is bad in any way. I tried to write something poetic and yet interesting, something lyrical and yet readable, something magical and yet human. Magic plays a prominent role in the story, but the humanity of the main character is just as important. I also tried to include elements from mythology and folklore. I added smatterings of Finnish and Welsh lore about wizards, but not so much that it is just a retelling of old tales. As a matter of fact, I was so proud of what I had created that I did a happy dance yesterday after I wrote the last line.

I'm just not sure it's the right "flavour" for today's editorial tastes. That's my big worry, and something that might work against the story's chances of ever finding a home in a pro (or even semi-pro) venue.

Time will tell.

No comments: