Tuesday, February 2, 2010

2009 Preditors and Editors Readers Poll Results

It looks like the results are in for the 2009 Preditors & Editors Readers Poll, and it looks like I finished in the top ten in five of the six categories in which I was nominated. Not bad, but perhaps there is room for improvement.

The results are:

In the Poem Category, "The Haunted Castle" (published in The Absent Willow Review) all by itself in seventh place.

In the Non-Fiction Article Category, "Speculative Poetry: Past, Present, and Future" (published in Abandoned Towers on-line) tied at sixth place with "Interview with Joe Abercrombie" by Lucien E. G. Spelman.

In the Artwork Category, my illustration for "West Dingleton's Loss of Humanity" (published in Abandoned Towers on-line) all by itself in seventh place.

In the Magazine/E-zine Cover Art Category, my cover art for Abandoned Towers Issue #3 tied at seventh place with M. D. Jackson's cover art for Abandoned Towers Issue #4 and Robert Hoyem's cover art for Shock Totem. "A Leviathan Ascendant" also appears on the list separately, in an eight-way tie for tenth place. This is a bit confusing, since "A Leviathan Ascendant" also appeared on the cover page of the November 2009 issue of the e-zine MindFlights Is this second entry for that cover, or for the July 2009 Abandoned Towers cover? I suspect this second entry is for the second use of the art, but I could be wrong.

In the Poet Category, I came in tied with Ash Krafton for fifth place, my best placing in this year's poll.

Alas, I didn't make it in the top ten in the Artist Category. I came in tied with several other artists at sixteenth place. I didn't finish in the top ten in that category in the 2008 P&E Reader Poll, and I missed it again this time out. Drat!

I don't really know what all this means, if it means much at all, especially in categories where there weren't any finishers outside of the top ten!. I do know it means I can put more of those fancy "Top Ten Finisher" plaques on my web site. Apart from that, I really don't know how significant any of this is in the greater scheme of things.

Of course, I say this now, but when the time comes to beat the bushes for votes yet again, watch me try to beat even harder next time!

No comments: